Monday 26 May 2008

Hidden from me

It's me, Molly Harper, and i have to apologise on account of the fact i haven't posted in ages.
Things have been really complicated. Basically, some of us have split up for safety. At the present moment I'm with James, Matt and Evie.
Anyway, earlier in the week we went back home, although we're not there now, to see what we could get out of our parents. I think they might have known about us being herded, or about when our genes were manipulated. I do remember that in a conversation to one of her friends my mum said:
"Well, after she was born I got to hold her and that was it, she was taken away from me. The doctors said she was really ill and had to be put in intensive care..."
That was a few weeks ago she said that, before the trouble started. Anyway, I think this points to the fact that the experiment was carried out after I was born, but it could point to maybe something before the birth because i was "ill". This could have been a lie on the doctors' part, a convenient excuse, or even a real side effect of genetic manipulation. I still don't know. But basically, the information I got from my parents was this:
-They knew nothing about the powers, even when I looked through their heads.
-They didn't realise they were being herded
-They have had no further contact with the Government

So no clues from them, then.

Unfortunately, I'm still scared. The reason?
Well, we were sitting round a small fire eating measly portions of slightly dodgy fish fingers (thankyou mum and dad bleugh lol) when all of a sudden James sat bolt upright and went all pale.
"Are you sure that fire's still burning?" he said, quietly. Of course it was on. We were practically boiling.
"Really?" he said, when I told him this, "Because I'm feeling strangely cold...-" he mumbled, and toppled over.
"James! Hey! James! Get up! Get up!" I picked up a stick from the fire and held it out to him. "James, you don't get cold!"
"Molly, what's the matter with him?" This from Evie.
"I don't know! He says hes cold and I think he's fainted!"
I poked him with the embering stick. This sounds cruel but he's resistant to burning. Or at least I thought he was, because there was a kind of horrible hiss and I lifted it away as fast as I could.
"There's something really wrong! I haven't seen this sort of thing before!"
"Well don't bloody well burn him then!" Matt this time.
"What am I supposed to do?"
I slapped James in the face as hard as I could, and this time it worked. He sat up again and began muttering once more.
"I think he's lost it!" was Evie's suggestion.
"Thanks for that, Evie," I snapped.
Suddenly James grabbed my arm really hard.
"He's in my head! He's in my head! He's in my head!"
"Who's in your head?"
"I don't know! Just get him out!"
I jumped into James's thoughts, and immediately I was attacked by something, another presence. It stabbed at me again, trying to force me out. I tried to get out, but it had latched on to me like some sort of limpet. It was like suffocating. I couldn't get back to my body to breathe, my eyes were open but I couldn't reach them to see.
LET GO OF ME!
I kind of shouted, and the thing recoiled, letting go of James, letting go of me.
I think it was somebody like me. I'm scared. Maybe it even WAS me?

1 comment:

Luis said...

Well thats interesting. I remember once reading in a psychology book that almost everyone has a level of split personalities subconsciously. This is usually only a problem if the personality starts showing through to the conscious mind and it becomes more dominating than the "true" personality (I'm sure what classifies as a true personality has been the subject of many a philosophical debate). However since you have powers that have to do with probing thoughts this could be a problem. Of course it could also be that it was someone else and making you think your power has gone awry is part of their strategy. By the way it's the second time you have suspected your own power so it could also be a fear you have about your powers going bad, but I'm not a psychologist so don't take that suggestion too seriously.