Monday 5 May 2008

Now we're in trouble

It's Molly here. I would have posted before, had it not been for the fact I've been really afraid, and we've been on the run again. And now some guy (presuming it's a guy, they usually go for these power-trip things) has started having a go at us in the comments.
I think he's probably just an unrelated anorak-type person, but you can't ever be sure. He hasn't even got the guts to put his name.
Really though, even if you are a Shadow, you could have been a bit more subtle. Less overdramatic. I don't think he's really a Shadow because they don't tend to go in for this muck. They don't say anything at all.
Anyway, anoraks aside, things have changed.
You see, on Saturday, we were walking through the streets of _____, minding our own business, when this woman approached us.
We were instantly suspicious, but Dan made the gesture with his hand meaning "lie low and see what happens".
I tried to reach into this person's thoughts but I was repelled. And then I tried to tell the others.
I was basically, for the first time in ages, unable to reach out.
So this woman, whoever she was, came up to us and asked us if we'd seen any suspicious activity. We blanked. She pressed further, going onto the subject of powers.
That was when we knew we were rumbled. There wasn't any point sticking around there much longer. Matt was all ready to drag us skywards when the woman grabbed hold of Emily.
"Make one move and she's dead" she hissed at us. Rather stupid of her really. One second, Emily ws struggling feebly as we'd practised before, the next the woman was down on the floor rubbing her head. But she'd struck now, and we knew it was only a matter of time before they brought heavies. The woman pulled out a gun and forced us to line up withour faces against a wall. I cursed myself for leading us down a sidestreet. Nobody would see or hear us.
Then I thought to myself, why doesn't Mary just cast a forcefield over us?
And the reason is because she's standing behind me holding a knife.
I swore copiously, as Dan repeated afterwards.
"How could you! We trusted you, you lying little b**ch! Right, that's it!"
And I swung at her hard, a well aimed elbow strike. But instead of blocking it, she simply let it hit her.
"I'm really sorry. But they would have done something to our families."
"You could have lied or something!!"
"No," she said coldly, and pushed me hard against the wall. I could see the others, frightened, unable to escape, against the wall in the dark aley. I hated myself.
I culd feel the frustration building up somewhere between my head and my hands, which had bunched into fists. I think I may have gone red. It didn't matter. I pushed out gradualy, really hard, and Mary shrieked. Her control- her forcefield - was broken. She backed away from me, and the others walked towards her, whatever they could do at the ready.
Evie was the first to speak.
"You'd better have a really good explanation for this. Because if you don't, Molly's going to hack your head. So you'd better speak quickly."
But Mary didn't say anything. She just stood there, silently, mouth wide open.
And then something poked out from the middle of her chest.
Behind her was the woman.
And behind us was a man.
It was horrible. Mary, after all she'd done to us, was now lying on the floor looking at us wild-eyed.
And dead.

But instinct came to us first. Matt grabbed me, I grabbed the person next to me, and so on. In less than a second we were up and away.


Maybe we could have done something for Mary, but I don't want to after she led the Shadows to us.
Oh, and Mastergale please can you send me your email because I need to talk to you urgently and I don't want anorak over there to see.

No comments: